Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hamburger Pattie with Caramelized Onions, Mushroom, and Gravy along with Cheesy Mashed Potatoes and Asparagus


This is one of my favorite meals. I actually make hamburger patties with mushroom, onions, and gravy a lot. Sometimes with asparagus, sometimes with broccoli, but most times with fried okra. I love fried okra. I love the crunch and salt all over it right out of the hot oil. Once I ate almost 2 cups worth. My stomach poked out as if I were three months pregnant and I couldn't move. But it was so good. The one bad thing about this meal is all the dishes I have to wash afterwards. I am not sure how it happens but I end up using 2 skillets, one pot,  one sauce pan, several utensils, a couple plates, and a cutting board. I don't have a dish washer and when I did I never used it. I actually used the last dish washer I had to store several kitchen appliances and extra dishes because I never have enough cupboards in any of the rentals. I  got this storage idea from my mother. I saw her doing this and decided it was a great idea. Well anyway, here is my own recipe that you've been waiting for. Trust me it is delicious and so filling.

Ingredients:
2 Hamburger patties
1 carton (8 oz) of mushrooms
1 yellow onion
1 packet of McCormick brown gravy mix
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
 red wine vinegar
chili powder (non-spicy)
salt and pepper

10 asparagus spears

For the cheesy mashed potatoes: 
sour cream
butter
olive oil
milk
salt and pepper
1 large idaho potato, peeled and cut in small cubes
Shredded cheese (I use the Four Cheese bag which includes american, sharp cheddar, white cheddar, and monterey jack)

Directions:
If you want to have dinner served fast like me, you are going to have to use all the burners at the same time. One for the hamburgers, one for the gravy, one for the mashed potatoes, and fourth for the vegetable you choose to make. 

1. Season the hamburger patties on both sides with salt, pepper, and chili powder. Heat the olive oil  in a  skillet and saute the patties until done, flipping a couple times so they don't burn. Move the patties to a plate and cover with foil to remain warm. In the same skillet with all the drippings and seasoning, add the sliced onions and mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes until the onions are golden and soft. Season with salt, pepper and a splash of red wine vinegar. Transfer the veggies to a second plate and cover to keep warm.

2. Make the brown gravy as indicated on the back of the package (In a saucepan whisk the powder with 1 cup cold water. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 1 minute to thicken). Now put the patties back in the skillet with the gravy on medium low just unitl heated through.

3. Peel and cut the potato into small cubes and put in a pot of boiling salted water. Cook until tender. Drain the water minus a tablespoon and mash the potatoes. Sorry guys I forgot to measure as I was putting the ingredients into the mashed potatoes. So I will estimate how much of each item I used and you just taste as you go as I did. But don't get carried away and eat too much :) Add half a cup of the cheese, a drizzle of olive oil, a splash of milk, a small cube of butter, and 3 tablespoons of sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. Mash again. Now taste. What do you think? You can add more cheese and sour cream at this point. I think I did.

4. In another skillet, bring about an inch of water to a boil. Season the water with salt and pepper. Cook the asparagus for about 3 minutes. Drain. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle a little more salt.

Now you see why I have so many dishes to wash at the end of the hour. Ok you are done. Now just serve the hamburger patties smothered with gravy topped with the veggies alongside the cheesy mashed potatoes and asparagus spears. I hope you don't get discouraged by how long this recipe is. It really is so simple and worth the effort. 

Source: daliasdelights original



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment