Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Handy Ingredient Substitutes and Measurement Conversions

It is that time of year when you will find several apple pie or pumpkin bread recipes that call for specific measurements of cinnamon, nutmeg, or cloves while others will simply say a teaspoon or so of "apple pie spice" or "pumpkin pie spice." In my pantry I always have cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, and nutmeg. Recently I bought: allspice, apple pie spice, and pumpkin pie spice for all the fun baking I plan to do. Then today I discovered that the ingredients in the apple, pumpkin, and all spice, are just variations in quantity of ground cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg which I already had. So if you are like me and already have the basic baking spices, then don’t buy anything else. What a scam! Well anyway, here is a list of some other ingredient substitutions that I wanted to share with you:

Ingredient Substitutions:


Note: click on each table segment for a clearer print.

I come across many recipes that use ounces (oz) in the ingredient list. I print out the recipe without noticing this and when it is time to cook I never have a clue how much that is in cups or spoons. So if you are like me, this will help! Print this table and tape it to your refrigerator because who has time to run to a computer while the water is boiling!!!!

Measurement Conversion Table:

Source:  allrecipes.com


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Great Post! I can't believe I've only come across it now!!

    Do you by any chance have a Microsoft Word/Microsoft Excel, or other editable version of your ingredient substitution list so that I can add a few of my own, and make it a tad bigger to fit my recipe binder?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. Let me work on it and I will let you know once it is ready! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete