Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Red Beans and Rice


While I was searching the internet for a second really good recipe for red beans and rice, I came across this t-shirt sold out of New Orleans. So cute!

I usually make this dish with the canned light red kidney beans but last night I wanted to make it from the dried beans, a healthier approach. Major disaster! The recipe claimed total cooking time was an hour and a half. I simmered the beans for over 2 hours and they were still crunchy. We were starving and couldn't wait any longer since we had no clue how much longer it would be. I let the pot cool then placed it in the refrigerator with the intentions to continue cooking it another night. Good thing we had fish sticks in the freezer because that is what we had for dinner. By the way, these aren't just fish sticks, they are Tilapia fish sticks and are really good! I top mine with lemon juice, yellow mustard, and freshly ground black pepper. So good!

Tonight, I scooped out the sausage and the liquid that was seasoned so wonderfully. (I will cook the crunchy beans in a crock pot for maybe chilli another day this week). I chopped another green bell pepper, diced another onion, but was out of celery. I added a CAN of light red kidney beans, simmered for 30 minutes, re-heated the rice that I had cooked the night before,  and there you have it- Red Beans and Rice.

Done! Perfect! Creamy! Spicy! Delicious!


Ingredients:
1 (15 oz) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1/2 teaspoon dried  thyme
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and black pepper
1/4-1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
8 ounces smoked beef sausage, sliced
1 green onion, chopped for garnish
hot sauce (optional)

Directions:
Heat butter in a  Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage and sauté until browned. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook until tender. Add the thyme, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Mix in kidney beans, broth, and bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until flavors are blended and mixture is thick, stirring occasionally, about 30-45 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Serve over rice. Top with green onions and add hot sauce if you want more spice.

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know
    a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something.
    I think that you can do with a few pics to
    drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this
    is great blog. An excellent read. I'll certainly be back.
    my site > White Kidney Bean Extract

    ReplyDelete