Friday, October 29, 2010

Cream of Broccoli and Chicken Soup


This is a terrific soup. It is not the lightest soup out there but it is very rich and satisfying. It is a bit time consuming because of all the chopping required but it is well worth the effort. I made this soup several times last winter and was glad to make it once again tonight. The original recipe yields 10 servings. The first time I made it exactly as written and froze the leftovers. A few weeks later, it was still good. I just thinned it out as I was reheating it with a little more milk. But today I adjusted the recipe to serve four (see below). I really enjoy all sorts of soup. If were up to me I'd eat  soup at least once a week all year round. I am currently on a search for a good cookbook containing just soups and stews. I found  four online that I  contemplating between: Williams-Sonoma Soup and Stew, Complete Book of Soups and Stews by Bernard Clayton, The Big Book of Soups and Stews by Maryana Vollstedt, or 500 Soups by Susannah Blake. After reading the reviews I am leaning towards the one by Bernard Clayton. I am hoping they are all available at Barnes and Nobles so that I can browse through each one before I decide. If  you have any  recommendations please let me know.

Ingredients: 
Yields 4
cooking spray
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
8 oz. carton of pre sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1/2 cup orzo or a handful or vermicelli broken into 2 inch pieces
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
1/2 cup half n half
1 1/2 cups chicken, cubed (for me this was 8 cubed chicken tenders)
1 1/2 cups broccoli florets
salt and pepper

Directions:
Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook until done.

Heat a dutch over medium high and coat with cooking spray. Add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook  for about 5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Add butter to this mixture. Once the butter melts, stir in the flour. Cook for 2 minutes.

Add the milk and broth, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and add the pasta to the pan. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the cheese and stir until it melts. Add the broccoli, cooked chicken, and half n half. Cook for another 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with dinner rolls.


Source: Cooking Light
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment